As 2013 is a fresh and new year, we can’t help but anticipate how different technologies, strategies, and social expectations will shape the marketing landscape. Based on what we’ve seen trending over the past year and where we see marketing moving, here are 10 major predictions of how the 2013 marketing landscape will look:
1) Big Data has landed! Now, more than ever, deep and extensive data analytics will become even more important in forming strategies and messaging.
2) Besides using data to form strategies, marketers will begin to depend on detailed data to develop more relevant and personalized communications with their target audience.
3) Marketing will continue to become more and more complex as marketers segment more and more and customize for smaller niches.
4) Marketing Automation tools will become more important in lead generation and lead nurturing efforts. Marketers will continue to “map the experience” so that customers have the most personal experience possible.
5) Marketing via social media will become a bigger part of marketing strategies. Concrete best practices will be developed as social media companies roll out more tools to measure the ROI of social media marketing.
6) Outbound marketing will see a resurgence as marketers realize that too much emphasis on inbound marketing is not as effective as a more balanced approach of outbound and inbound efforts.
7) Mobile marketing and mobile optimized sites and apps will continue to grow and evolve. Those without a mobile strategy will fall behind their competitors.
8) Brand integrity will become more and more important as social influencers will become more aggressive at outing companies that don’t live up to their brand message. Brand and actual customer experience must be the same.
9) Marketers will become more and more innovative in the way that they will try to get customers’ attention by leveraging new innovative ways to use old and new media. Some of these will be very successful, others may backfire.
10) The development of quality, relative content will become pervasive as more and more companies will become sources of information for their customers as they research products and services. Those with the best information will win.
As customer experiences and expectations constantly change, it’s important to remember that marketing strategies and tactics must evolve with them.